Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"Continuing Smart" ?

A few years back I heard a very intriguing statement,

“The reason why radio and TV talk / news are so popular (i.e. Bill O’Reilly, Rush Limbaugh) is because people love to be “smart” but don’t have the time to be “educated.”

Listening to this type of media can supply you with a lot of information quickly and conveniently, and may help you demonstrate mental alertness (definition of smart) when engaged in business or casual conversations, but it will not educate you. The definition of education is knowledge acquired by learning and instruction.

Just recently, I heard another intriguing statement about condensed versions of books available for iPhones, Laptops, etc. The gentleman said “reading a condensed version of a book, is really learning the material based on what someone else, not the author, thought was important …I would rather read the full version and decide for myself what’s important. I want to be educated, not just smart.”

Wow, I thought to myself…this guy has wisdom, which is the art of utilizing accumulated knowledge and experience with sound judgment and insight.

Yes, I watch and listen to TV talk / news media and occasionally read a condensed version of a book…but I am also a strong advocate of gaining wisdom. One of my lifetime goals is to always participate in “continuing education” in order to grow personally and professionally…after all who ever heard of “continuing smart”?

1 comment:

Weston Lyon said...

Wow...I never thought of it that way..."Continuing Smart" doesn't exist.

Thanks for the insight and unique viewpoint!